“Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.” — Psalm 150:6
Do you have a passion for using your musical talents to worship the Lord?
MVNU’s Worship Ministry program is designed to help you hone your musical abilities while developing the leadership skills you need for a career in worship. This major prepares students especially for local church roles in music, the arts, and various creative ways of communicating the gospel.
- Hands-on experience — As an MVNU Worship Ministry major, you will have many ways to use your gifts to lead different communities in worship. You could join a musical group on campus, like Collegians Chorale or the chapel worship band, travel to lead worship at camps and events with one of our Music and Ministry teams, or get involved with a local church worship team.
- Skill development — Because of MVNU’s extensive musical resources and small class sizes, you will have the unique opportunity to develop current and new musical skills with professors who make time to assist you on a personal basis.
- Active faculty — Our Ministry faculty members have professional experience in missions and ministry leadership positions. You will be learning from people who have been where you are headed.
- Dr. Matthew Price
- Associate Professor of Christian Education, Intercultural Studies program Coordinator
- Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão
- Professor of Biblical Literature, Coordinator of Master of Ministry and CMP Programs, School Dean
- Dr. Lincoln Stevens
- Professor of Philosophy, Philosophy Program Coordinator
- Dr. Eric Vail
- Associate Professor of Theology, Religion Program Coordinator
- Dr. Doug VanNest
- Professor of Pastoral Ministry
The School of Theology and Philosophy offers annual opportunities to travel to countries significant to the Christian faith. Our most recent trips include:
- 2015 — Turkey and Greece, where students walked in the footsteps of Paul and visited the locations where many of the New Testament and early church events took place.
- 2016 — Israel and Jordan, where students walked in the footsteps of Jesus and the prophets. They saw for themselves the lands where their favorite Bible stories took place and experienced the culture and history of these important places.
- 2017 — Germany and Switzerland, where you can walk in the footsteps of the Reformers and see the places where Western tradition was deeply shaped.
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many other service and learning trips.
There are over 30 endowed scholarships for students in the School of Theology and Philosophy with a call to ministry. In addition, there are other university scholarships available and a Nazarene Ministerial Scholarship Program in which Nazarene ministry students can participate during their four years.
Worship Ministry majors may also pursue scholarships through the Music department. These Music scholarships are talent-based awards that are granted through audition before the MVNU Music faculty. Scholarships are available for voice, piano, organ, most wind and string instruments, percussion, guitar, and composition. The awards are for one academic year and range from approximately $500-$3,000 and are offered to music majors, minors, or other disciplines.
With a Worship Ministry degree, you will be well prepared for a career in music leadership and ministry not only in local churches, but also in other arts, such as drama, filmmaking, media, technology, graphics, and more.
“(At MVNU) I became a person who did not just hang onto my parents’ faith, but learned to ask tough questions in order to mold my own faith.”Kayla (Ledford) Hamilton, ‘15