Do you have a passion for leading the church in the right direction?
A Pastoral Ministry degree from MVNU will provide you with the knowledge and experience you need to be a strong, ethical leader in the church.
- Learning abroad — As an MVNU Pastoral Ministry major, you will have opportunities to travel to Turkey, Greece, the Holy Land (Israel and Jordan), Europe, and the United Kingdom.
- Practical experience — Our students regularly engage in practicums and other ministry opportunities as a complement to their undergraduate studies. This is the kind of hands-on experience that employers are looking for.
- Graduate studies preparation — Courses that are cross-registered for graduate degree work are available, which would allow you to begin earning graduate credit early.
- Published faculty — Many of the professors in the MVNU School of Theology and Philosophy are published authors.
- Dr. Matthew Price, Associate Professor of Christian Education, Intercultural Studies program Coordinator
- Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão, Professor of Biblical Literature, Coordinator of Master of Ministry and CMP Programs, School Dean
- Dr. Lincoln Stevens, Professor of Philosophy, Philosophy Program Coordinator
- Dr. Eric Vail, Associate Professor of Theology, Religion Program Coordinator
- Dr. Doug VanNest, Professor of Pastoral Ministry
The School of Theology and Philosophy offers annual opportunities to travel to countries significant to the Christian faith. Our most recent trips include:
- 2015—Turkey and Greece, where students walked in the footsteps of Paul and visited the locations where many of the New Testament and early church events took place.
- 2016—Israel and Jordan, where students walked in the footsteps of Jesus and the prophets. They saw for themselves the lands where their favorite Bible stories took place and experienced the culture and history of these important places.
- 2017—Germany and Switzerland, where you can walk in the footsteps of the Reformers and see the places where Western tradition was deeply shaped.
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many other service and learning trips, some of which are to Spanish-speaking countries.
There are over 30 endowed scholarships for students in the School of Theology and Philosophy with a call to ministry. In addition, there are other university scholarships available and a Nazarene Ministerial Scholarship Program in which Nazarene ministry students can participate during their four years.
MVNU Pastoral Ministry graduates go on to become lead pastors, as well as associate pastors in local churches. Some go on to seminary for more specific education and training for careers in chaplaincy, compassionate ministries, and a variety of other faith-based contexts.
"Even if I wanted to make a painting to express how grateful I am towards all that have supported me these past years, I could not."Amorelle Jacox, '16