MVNU’s English program offers high-level academic quality with professors who are experts in literature and writing.
Students have a variety of opportunities to gain valuable experience beyond the classroom and explore their passions. A major in English is extremely versatile because students develop skills that will make them successful in every career field. At MVNU, you can read great books, practice critical thinking skills, and improve your writing abilities — all with Christian faculty who care about your academic growth and success.
- High achievement — Senior MVNU English majors routinely score higher than the national average on the Major Field Test in English (MFT). This is a reflection of the deep level of comprehension you will have in your field after graduation — the kind of comprehension that employers are looking for.
- Active faculty — Most MVNU English faculty have recently published articles in scholarly journals and/or presented research at national and regional conferences. You will learn from people who are passionate and actively involved in their discipline.
- Immersive learning — Students have numerous social and cultural opportunities like trips to see live theater or experience lectures at other institutions. Students also may take intensive travel courses such as mvNYu, a summer course in New York City, and MVNU.K., a learning experience in the British Isles or study abroad in Oxford through CCCU's BestSemester.
- Dr. Dorothea Hawthorne, Associate Professor of English, Department Chair
- Dr. Kevin Hawthorne, Associate Professor of Humanities
- Dr. Yvonne Schultz, Professor of English, School Dean, Director of GPS General Studies, Associate Vice President for Academic Administration
- Dr. W Brett Wiley, Professor of English,Director of the Honors Program
- Dr. David Wilkes, Professor of English
mvNYu : Every other year, the English and Modern Languages department offers a travel-study program in New York City.
Italy: Imagine walking the streets of Rome where St. Paul walked, floating down a Venetian canal, seeing the art of the Sistine Chapel, exploring the ancient site of Pompeii, experiencing Sorrento with its romantic cliff-side setting and discovering the modern and ancient sites of Italy from the Coliseum to Cathedrals to museums. Travel to Italy with the School of Arts and Humanities for all these experiences and more!
All MVNU students are invited to participate in our many other travel opportunities.
While other majors train you for a specific career path, an English major helps you to develop marketable writing, communication, and research skills that are valuable in every career imaginable. MVNU English graduates often find jobs as journalists, high school teachers, public relations strategists, advertising copywriters, or legal assistants.
MVNU graduates have attended:
- American University Washington College of Law
- University of Buffalo
- University of Toledo
- Kent State University
- Bowling Green State University
- The Ohio State University
“I can't imagine my life without this beautiful place and the incredible people who have helped make me who I am.”Misty Cushing, ‘15