Art is about looking at and thinking about the world around you in a new, and different way. The world needs more artistic, unique thinkers.
At MVNU, Art majors spend four years honing their talents in preparation for further study in a graduate program or for a career as a practicing artist, writer, photographer, illustrator, gallery owner, art historian, K–12 art educator, or one of a number of other artistic careers.
During their first two years, students complete the foundation program, learning broadly about art history and working in a variety of mediums. In their final two years, students focus on creating their own body of work in a specific medium. Senior Art majors are given personal studio space and individual instruction from professors. The program culminates with a senior show in MVNU’s professional Schnormeier Gallery, a space that has exhibited the work of nationally recognized artists.
Many students consider double majoring in Art and Graphic Design. At MVNU, these programs are compatibly designed to enhance your abilities in both disciplines.
- Broad scope — You’ll have many opportunities to explore a wide range of applications within the discipline of graphic design. This gives you an edge after graduation, because you will become proficient at designing everything from webpages and marketing materials to clothing and packaging, and more. Employers are always looking for well-rounded designers.
- Learning abroad — Our Graphic Design majors have the opportunity to study abroad in Italy; you’ll get to visit five Italian cities and increase your exposure to art and design on an international level. Not only will you experience historical art, but you will also be exposed daily to the latest design trends in Italy.
- Up-to-date technology — You will become acquainted with our annually-updated hardware and software, which corresponds to what you will likely be working with in the Graphic Design industry after graduation. The knowledge you’ll gain about these programs and technologies will be relevant and immediately applicable in your career.
The Buchwald Center, MVNU’s 32,000 square foot art and design building, is located in friendly downtown Mt. Vernon, just a few miles from main campus. The Buchwald boasts warm, sunny spaces that feed creativity and bear the scars of the artistic process. Each artist and designer that passes through its doors finds places to call his/her own.
Whether you’re creating a digital piece on one of the 30 dual-boot iMacs in the Mac lab, setting up an installation for a show in the exquisite Schnormeier Gallery, or throwing a unique piece of pottery on one of the wheels in the ceramics room, you will be working on your craft in a space that inspires.
Check back soon for more details about Schnormeier Gallery!
Imagine walking the streets of Rome where St. Paul walked, floating down a Venetian canal, seeing the art of the Sistine Chapel, exploring the ancient site of Pompeii, experiencing Sorrento with its romantic cliff-side setting and discovering the modern and ancient sites of Italy from the Coliseum to Cathedrals to museums. Oh, plus there's great food and amazing coffee.
As an MVNU Art major, there’s no need to imagine — you can take in the wonders of Italy for yourself during spring break, and even get course credit for it!
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many other service and learning trips.
All Art students are eligible for the competitive Esther Buchwald Art Scholarships and Awards. Five scholarships are awarded to five individual Art students annually. Students from any class may submit work, including incoming students. One student from each class will be awarded the scholarship.
Seniors in the MVNU Art program are eligible for the Crispin Webb Art Endowed Scholarship.
MVNU also has many endowed scholarships available for students of a wide variety of backgrounds and majors.
Maybe you’ll go on to get your Master of Fine Arts degree. More than 90 percent of MVNU Art graduates who apply for graduate MFA programs are accepted. Multiple MVNU alumni have been accepted into the Art Institute of Chicago’s Masters of Fine Arts programs — one of the most prestigious and selective programs in the nation.
Or perhaps you’ll integrate art into your career, as many of our featured alumni have. MVNU Art grads are fulltime artists, art educators, graphic and web designers, business salespeople, creative services directors, filmmakers, professional photographers, and more. What will you do with your Art degree?
MVNU art majors have been accepted into graduate programs at:
- The Art Institute of Chicago
- Bard College
- The Ohio State University
- The University of Florida
- Maryland Institute College of Art
- Parsons School of Art and Design
- Newcastle University, England
- University of Georgia
"Even if I wanted to make a painting to express how grateful I am towards all that have supported me these past years, I could not.”Amorelle Jacox, ’16